Sunday, December 26, 2010

Chocolate Fudge Upside Down Cake





When I think upside-down cake, an image of ooey gooey pineapple mess comes to mind. Despite this unappetizing picture, I decided to try making Na-Na’s famous chocolate upside down cake. Aunt Fran said it was one of her favorite desserts, and requested it as the end to our Christmas dinner. Luckily for me, I made this dish with Fran in the kitchen, her help was greatly appreciated! Na-na’s handwriting can be a bit illegible at times, so it was nice to have a personal translator. If Fran had not been there, the cake would have had a pound of butter, instead of a tablespoon. I guess I am too used to Paula Dean’s baking!

Chocolate Fudge Upside Down Cake

¾ c sugar
1 tblsp butter
½ c milk
1 c flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tblsp cocoa powder
½ c sugar
½ c brown sugar
¼ c cocoa
1 ¼ c boiling water

Cream ¾ c sugar with 1 tblsp butter. Add milk and stir. In another bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder, and 1 ½ tblsp cocoa powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Place mixture in a well greased cake pan. Combine ½ cup sugar, the brown sugar, and ¼ cup cocoa together. Sprinkle over the wet batter. Pour boiling water over the top. Bake at 350 ° for 30 minutes. (optional: add nuts to batter or garnish on top).

Pouring boiling water over cake batter seemed a little odd to me. Was I going to ruin the cake? Why make the batter into soup? I could not make sense of it, but I trust these recipes and went along with it. And, it turned out amazing! During the cooking process the boiling water turns the top of the cake into an unbelievable fudgey ganache. Yes, it is ooey gooey, but chocolate mess will always be better than pineapple mess! This warm chocolate delight was perfect for the finale of our Christmas dinner, served with vanilla bean ice cream, it was unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment