Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 4

Day 4. The day began with my least favorite task. Chopping onions. It is not that I mind doing prep work. I will cut vegetables all day, no problem. But with onions it is a different story. Tears pour out due to the amino acid sulfoxides that form from sulfur in the soil. For some reason, I seem to be super sensitive to these sulfoxides. My eyes pour tears. I have sensitive eyes, but the onions really make me react, which is embarrassing. I am learning to chop faster, which helps. But, I truly think the perfect cure would be to have contacts. Anyways, we were chopping the onions to make a butternut squash soup.

After wiping away my tears, I made hummus with tahini, lemon, chickpeas, olive oil, and garlic. I also made egg salad. Peeling 28 hard boiled eggs was miserable. The egg salad was eggs, relish, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Very simple. Next I made a pickling liquid for plums. Had some interesting spices. Later we made flat bread. All in all a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment