Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Painfully Good

Starting with lemon mayonnaise, I had a day full of hard work and delicious tastings. I made the lemon mayonnaise for the Salmon BLT. It consists of sourdough bread with the mayonnaise, then lettuce, tomato, bacon, and smoked salmon. The mayonnaise was very simple. Just lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, dill and some spices. Continuing the prep for lunch, I made some Happy Carrot Salad. We use this on the power lunch plate. The power lunch is a vegetarian option that is full of anti-oxidants and other nutritious goodies. The carrot salad has golden raisins, lemon juice and zest, garlic, cilantro, and a few other spices. Very good and quite nutritious!

Once the lunch service started up, I watched the line until they would need something. The Salmon BLT’s were the hot item so I had to cook up some bacon. I also had to grill off chicken and then roast them in the oven for the chicken salad. As I took the bacon out of the oven, I hit the extremely hot pan against my arm. OW! I now have a lovely 1 inch blister on my arm. Not so fun. After burning my arm being around any heat at all irritated it completely. You have to be so careful in a kitchen, I think it must be one of the most accident prone places in the world. After suffering through my burn I began prepping for dinner.

I learned how to make the chickpea fritters that go on the vegetable plate. It’s pretty simple, just chickpeas, parsley, onion, garlic, chili flake, olive oil, and flour. We rolled them into ping pong balls and then patted those down and fried them in the oil. Very tasty! After that I made some salsa verde with parsley, basil, mint, capers, anchovies, lemon, and shallot. Put it all in a blender and out comes a delicious green sauce.

The main problem today was where my station was located, next to the pastry chef. We have become fast friends as she lets me sample each of her delicious treats. I had apple cake and a delicious creamy tart. Being around food all day kind of makes you forget to eat, but next to her sugary station, my mouth was watering. Once lunch time rolled around I ordered a delicious tagine dish that is new to our menu. It consists of toasted bread with buffalo mozzarella and marinated eggplant with a salad of arugala, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, and roasted peppers in a sherry vinaigrette. So good! But I think I ate to much, I was stuffed!

I’m ready to have tasted all of the dishes because then I won’t become so full I just want to lay down and take a nap! Everything is so delicious at the restaurant that I need to slow down before I gain too much weight and have to kick my butt at the gym. I feel like we graze all day by tasting all the different ingredients and things that we make, but adding desserts and a big lunch on top of that has put me into a delightful food coma. I know that apple cake is going to bring me sweet dreams tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment