Friday, May 20, 2011

Decorations


Instead of writing about the constant chaos of each day, I am going to start focusing blogs on my biggest lesson of the day. Primarily featuring anything that is unbelievably outstanding. For example, today my focus was on decoration aka garnish.

Il Bottaccio is known for amazing gourmet dishes that are perfected in each and every way, including presentation. I began my first shift of the day preparing the decoration. I spent over an hour carving out diamond shaped boats of zucchini, parallelograms of carrots, and tomatoes shaped like flowers. It takes time and lots of concentration to make each perfect. I had to be patient and practice over and over again.

Once the shapes were cut out we blanched the zucchini and carrots. Then sauteed the zucchini in olive oil and scallions and sauteed the carrots in vanilla oil and honey. Before each plating we reheated the tomatoes, zucchini, and carrots. We used the zucchini to make a flower and stacked the carrots.

In addition to these vegetables we also made vegetable cylinders, wrapped in zucchini blossoms and tied together with chives. The scalloped potato cylinders also made it to the plate again this evening. All of these items combined with the main courses proved to be an extraordinary meal.

P.S. I know I need to work on the food photography, it is so much prettier in real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment