Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The First Supper


After surviving my 6 hour layover with a grilled cheese and spontaneous naps, I finally made my way to Pisa with a 2 hour plane ride. As we flew over the Alps, I tried to wrap my head around the amazing summer I am about to experience. It still seems so surreal, I cannot believe I am actually in Italy again.

Once I arrived I found my overweight bag, and headed to the taxis. I lucked out with an English speaking Italian who kindly drove me to Il Bottaccio. Although it was a mighty long and expensive ride, it was pleasant being able to immediately converse with a Pisa native.

As I entered the beautiful hotel, I knew I was in the right place. It was more exquisite than I remembered, and the people were just as friendly. They sat me down at the kitchen table and began to prepare a welcome meal. As I sipped the bubbly Prosecco, I couldn't help but enjoy watching them gracefully combine ingredients. The smells overwhelmed me and my stomach began to grumble. Still on American time I forget when I am most hungry.

First they ladled large portions of asparagus soup with tomatoes and crispy pancetta on top. If the first meal came with fried bacon, I can't imagine what else is in store for me. Then they served sauteed artichokes and potatoes in olive oil. Absolutely delicious! The artichokes were perfectly prepared. Accompanied by their famous cheese bread. I was a happy camper.

Now in the spare bedroom of the pastry chef's apartment. I am about to enjoy a light pasta lunch with her family. They are too kind and warm, and their apartment is precious right in the heart of Massa. I could not be happier to be here, just ready for the jet lag to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment