Friday, May 27, 2011

One Fish, Two Fish...


This morning I was given the most unpleasant task of cleaning branzino, or sea bass from scales to filet. They showed me this before, but now I actually had to it. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a learning experience, I signed up for this voluntarily, and I just gotta do it. So, I put on my rubber gloves, held my breath and got started.

Luckily, a new member of the team, Johnny, was there to help me along the way. We made somewhat of an assembly line. I cleaned off all the scales, he pulled out the guts and removed the blood, and Fabio made the filets. Although my job was the least disgusting, I stood next to Johnny as he removed internal organs and arteries. The carcasses were placed in hotel pans, resembling silver coffins more than ever. The remains will be used to make homemade fish stock.

Although the process of cleaning the fish entirely was putrid, smelly, and disgusting; it was a challenging assignment I will never forget. I officially know and can clean a fish from water to plate. It will never be my favorite job, but I can do it all by myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment