Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Taking it all in




Il Bottaccio was kind enough to make my first assignment get rested, get settled, and get to know your surroundings. After my long journey and attempt at adjusting to the 6 hour time difference I was happy to follow orders.

I slept until 12:30, clearly I am not on their schedule yet. I assumed rest was best and eventually I would be caught up. The family, who is vegetarian, made an elegant lunch full of all kinds of fresh vegetables. I had a yummy tomato salad with fresh basil and sweet onions. Simply enough it was only seasoned with olive oil and salt. They had freshly cut avocados and carrots. Fresh pasta and cheese bread also made it to the table. Everything was simple and delicious.

After lunch I decided to tour around the small city of Massa. We explored a little before when I came with Lauren and Jenn, but it was a whole new experience on my own. I went into the center of town where the orange square is. There are several government buildings and their duomo, a beautiful church adorned with mosaics. I kept walking around through shops and restaurants. I saw the beautiful castle on the hill and tried to get a good picture, but it does not do it justice. Everywhere you look is something amazing. Whether it's the mountains in the background, the fresh flowers, or the old buildings I am constantly in amazement.

Once I was done with my tour of Massa, I came back to the apartment for a little nap. Getting adjusted to time change is no easy task! Marco, their son came back and we watched Finding Nemo in Italian and then The Hangover and Avatar in English. His English is very good which is comforting. Marco made us a simple dinner of fennel, zucchini, and pasta with tomatoes. I never knew I would enjoy being a vegetarian this much!

Today I begin my first day of work, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment