Friday, May 27, 2011

Sharpening my skills



I am starting to feel like I am truly improving. Sometimes work can be overwhelming, it's a fast-paced environment where there is always something to do. I am trying to keep a specific focus on improving my knife skills. I have been well-trained at the several restaurants I've worked in, but here they demand even more. Julienne and cocasse are frequently used terms explaining how to cut certain vegetables. We julienne, or very thinly slice, anything from spring onions to artichokes. We use concasse, similar to a dice, for tomatoes and vegetables in the ratatouille. Julienne is the hardest of the cuts. To maintain a steady hand while perfectly slicing thin strips of vegetables in identical sizes can be very difficult. But, with lots of practice (which I am getting) I think I am starting to get the hang of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment