Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Halfway There

As I apprehensively ate the cheese lasagna out of the plastic container, I only hoped for my 24-hour journey to Montignoso to go by a bit more quickly. A 7-½ hour flight has landed me in London, England. With the flight full of medicated sleep and mass-produced food, I am thrilled to finally be settled in the rotunda of the Gatwick airport. My next flight is in 5 hours.

I began the trip yesterday a with a farewell lunch with the mom, sister, and boyfriend and then endured a small shopping spree around Atlanta, picking up the last few items I knew I just had to have. Once at the airport I was finally on my way. Amazingly enough, I ran in to several people I know. The UGA study abroad trip to Verona was on my flight as well as two friends from Auburn doing internships in London. It is amazing what a small world it is! I automatically felt more comfortable traveling since I had friends on my flight that were just as nervous about crossing the pond.

Honestly, the flight was not bad at all. I took two sleeping pills that knocked me right out, well that is after I force-fed myself flavorless cheese lasagna. Seriously, Italy has no competition! It did help that I washed it down with a glass of wine. I slept most of the trip until I was awoken to a breakfast in a box placed on my tray. Considering it was 4:00 a.m. my time I didn’t eat much. I nibbled the banana nut “and fruit” muffin, but decided to just stick with the coffee. We landed in Heathrow Airport of London at 10:15 a.m. (5:15 a.m. Macon, Ga. time).

The airport made it simple to go through customs, collect our bags, and then unfortunately go our separate ways. I left the girls interning in London to hop aboard a “coach” aka bus to the Gatwick airport. Yes, I had to change airports, which was slightly terrifying, but apparently is the norm here. I have already checked my bag and gone through security twice. First time I went through I forgot to empty my refillable water, rookie mistake. In my defense I have slept only a few hours in an airplane chair. Needless to say I am not exactly on my a-game.

So now, I sit in the Gatwick airport. Trying to pass the next 5 hours as quickly as possible so I can be in Italy in my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment