Sunday, May 22, 2011

Work Hard, Play Harder


This morning's shift may not have been the most enjoyable, but it all paid off in the end. This morning we opened up the kitchen as usual. Setting out cutting boards and necessary ingredients. Checking to see what prep needed to be done. And beginning lunch for the staff.

Everything was seemingly simple until the fish delivery came. After we ate lunch, I was put to the task of putting lobsters in bags to then put in the freezer. They are already dead, so this is the best way to preserve the meat. However, I quickly discovered not all of them were dead. Luckily, I had Tyson, the dishwasher, to help me with the live ones. For a little while I was a bit nervous! I really am learning the cooking process start to finish.

Because no one came for lunch, my next project was to clean under the sink. Just because cleaning products live in this cabinet does not mean it is orderly at all. It was a dirty job scrubbing and organizing all that lived under there. I doubt it had been cleaned in months. After a lot of hard work it finally sparkled again.

Once we completed a few more tasks we cleaned the kitchen. I was taught the correct way of sterilizing the counters and how to get the gunk out of tiny little crevices. Even though this might not be the most glamorous of jobs, it's important to be able to do it. Keeping a kitchen clean must be a number one priority for it to be successful.

With a hard days work behind me, I was glad to hear I had the rest of the day off. If no one comes in to eat, no one needs to work. So I began my perfect afternoon and headed to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment