Friday, May 6, 2011

Il Bottaccio






I cannot believe that it has been almost two months since we were in Italy. What is even more amazing is that I will be back in 9 days! Knowing that I am about to have an amazing summer cooking in one of the most beautiful places on earth is making studying nearly impossible. Getting ready for two and a half months in a different country is no easy task, but could not complain. It is still surreal how this has all worked out.

A few months ago, Mom met Sara Merchanthouse, my ticket to Il Bottaccio, at a dinner party. Soon enough Mom shared my passion for food which is when Sara mentioned the internship. She had participated for two years, cooking in the Italian kitchen and living in the provided apartment. Before I knew it I was sending my resume and interest letter and getting emails from someone on the other side of the world! I never thought I would actually get the internship, all along it seemed like a far fetched dream- cooking in Italy all summer- one I never thought would come true.

While we were in Florence over spring break, Dad found that it was less than two hours by train to get to Montignoso, the tiny town where Il Bottaccio resides. Nino and Irina, who work at Il Bottaccio were kind enough to help us plan our journey and pick us up from the train station in Massa. With my two best friends, Lauren and Jenn, to travel with me I was anxious to find out more about the opportunity.

We had slept most of the ride to Massa, and once we arrived we looked anxiously for them to pick us up. Without a cell phone for communication it was difficult to locate one another. But just as we thought we might be stranded, Nino called my name. It was so nice to finally meet the faces behind the emails. They had a few things to do in Massa and then we would head to Il Bottaccio. We made several stops including them having a 30 minute meeting which allowed us to look around at a few shops and cafes. The town completely shuts down from 1-4, a sophisticated lifestyle.

Then they took us on a tour of Massa, showing us government buildings, the orange square, and the Duomo. The church was absolutely amazing. It had two side chapels and a basement where many famous people were buried. It was kind of eerie, but emaculate. The church also was adorned in tons of mosaics. After as last stop at the dry cleaners, they took us to Il Bottaccio, my new paradise.

Everything about it was unbelievable. From the pool dining room, to the rooms with enormous bathtubs, the spa, gardens, and stunning view of the coast and mountains made me instantly fall in love. Not to mention how kind they were to us. After being shown the entire property, they sat us at a chef's table in the kitchen. We watched in awe as they prepared a late lunch for us.

Marzia, the pastry chef, prepared a pizza according to Nino's request. It was by far the best we had on the trip. With four different types- margherita, seafood, bacon, and curry- each bite was divine. The pancetta was my favorite. They used a smoky cheese on the pizza that made it to die for. Next they brought out real Italian Parmigiano Reggiano. Nino said this is the best cheese you will find in Italy. To make it even better he paired it with 100 year old aged balsamic. Possibly the best thing I've ever eaten. Being in the kitchen eating with the staff was the most amazing moment, but then things got even better.

They offered me the internship.Just a casual nonchalant, "When you come in May...". It was completely unreal. Learning to cook in Italy while they provide an apartment and meals is too good to true. We chatted for a while and then decided to email about logistics and plan until they see me again in two months. Well those two months have flown by and now I am preparing for the summer of a lifetime. I plan to blog each day on my adventures while abroad, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment