Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Dish Pit


Yesterday, "Tyson" our beloved dishwasher had the day off. I don't actually know his real name, everyone calls him Tyson because he truly resembles Mike Tyson. He doesn't speak any English, but does a fantastic job keeping the kitchen clean and running.

Without him, I was really put to work. When there was not much going on in the kitchen, we took turns throwing out scraps, scrubbing pans, and cleaning dishes. There was always something that had to be done. The steam of the hot water was overwhelming, and the constant pile of dirty dishes seemed infinite. I was in over my head, but did my best to clean up.

Even once service was over the dishes continued to make their way into the dish pit. Cutting boards, dirty knives, cappuccino cups kept coming in. It was not the easiest job. The hot water scalded by skin and the steam from the dishwasher gave me constant facials. Taking out the garbage, mopping the floors, and putting each and every piece of equipment away also became part of our tasks. It was intense to say the least.

Dad has always said I needed to work as a dishwasher, working my way up throughout the restaurant business. I now know why. I have a new found appreciation for dishwashers. I knew they were crucial to running a kitchen, but I had no clue how hard they work. Without dishwashers we would probably be eating microwaveable food on Styrofoam plates. So, to all the dishwashers out there. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment