Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blood, Bones, and Butter


I just finished Gabrielle Hamilton's Blood, Bones, and Butter. The autobiography begins with her picturesque childhood full of lamb roasts and happiness, then continues through her adolescent years after the family broke up where she found herself doing lines of coke and shop lifting. She shares struggles as a free lance catering chef in her twenties, that finally led to her success as a restaurant owner. She discusses all of the events in her life that got her where she is today, the chef/owner of Prune in New York City. From childhood memories to a fast-paced career in an industry she wasn't sure of, the book is a mouthwatering must-read.

The descriptions of the food are so vivid you can taste each word. She craftily composes each section to that the reader clearly understands what she was going through at the certain time in her life. Written in chronological order, feeling her struggle to find purpose in life is almost palpable. She guides through her failures and successes, being as honest as possible throughout the book.

It was the perfect read for me in Italy. Reading about her own travels through Europe in her early twenties and then her vacations to Italy after having 2 sons, I found so many similarities between our experiences. Although her writing is a bit more poetic, I find myself savoring each moment so that one day when I am older, I too will be able to reflect on the memories that got me to where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment