Thursday, June 2, 2011

Laundry Day



I have officially finished my first round of laundry! I only blog about this because I feel like it was a true accomplishment. Being instructed in Italian, then ruining the first load, and having to redo the second, it feels like a miracle that I finally have clean clothes!

There are so many more steps than in America. You have to choose the temperature (in Celcius), then pick the setting. Luckily, there is a chart that explains which goes with which. Then you must open the detergent drawer and pour in a capfull of the liquid, the kind they have smells really good-fresh and clean. Then after loading your clothes into the washer (it holds about 1/2 of an American one) you must close the door, make sure it is locked and press start.

After doing all that, which is pretty similar to what we do in the U.S.A. you have to turn the water on and then turn another knob that stops it from dripping in the sink and forces it into the washer. This is the step I seem to always mess up. My clothes will come out of the cycle either soaking wet or too dry. But my final load of darks was just right. Guess 3rd time is the charm.

Instead of throwing everything in the dryer with a Bounce sheet, I hung my clothes to dry. They feel different, a bit more stiff. But smell incredible. The combination of the scented detergent with the fresh air is a delight.

I can't deny how much I miss American dryers, dishwashers, and microwaves. But, there is something to simply washing your clothes and hanging them to dry in the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment