Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Brioche for Breakfast


Scrambled eggs with a side of bacon are no where to be found in Italy. Their breakfast is actually quite different then the heavy savory one made famous by Waffle House in the U.S.A. While my family and friends might be enjoying their hashbrowns scattered, smothered, and covered, I'm in Italy enjoying my sweet breakfast 6 hours earlier.

There is a great caffe only seconds from the apartment. As soon as I leave the gate I can see it across the street. Roberto, the father I live with, introduced me on my 3rd day here. He also recommended the breakfast I continue to order every time I go. A brioche with cappuccino. Brioche is the common breakfast food here. Coming from French influence, it is a sweet pastry made with lots of butter and sugar, that has a beautiful flaky crust. The center is filled with pastry cream that just melts in your mouth.

Paired with a rich cappuccino, it is the most satisfying breakfast imaginable. I confess that I have stopped ordering cafe au lait's (coffee with steamed milk) and now only order cappuccino's (espresso with steamed milk). I don't know if it's the higher caffeine content or if it is just more Italian, but I am officially converted.


As much as I miss Chick-fil-a chicken biscuits with a fizzy Diet Coke, I am loving the sweet start to my day in Italy. A simple breakfast of brioche with cappuccino, gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment