Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!



It's been a surreal experience spending today traveling from Rome back to my Italian home in Massa knowing friends and family are across the Atlantic on the beach, at the lake, or in the mountains celebrating our country's independence together. The Fourth has always been one of my favorite holidays. It's so relaxing spending the day in the sun and coming back to prepare just some darn good American food. Last summer we did a low country boil which we actually had to postpone until mother returned from the hospital after needing stitches from an incident involving dancing and a car door. How I love my family, but I digress. Fourth of July is a great opportunity for people to come together eat great food and appreciate all that we have in America. Being overseas certainly has made me reflect on how grateful I am for all that I have back home. As much as I love being over here gorging on pizzas and pastas, a part of me wishes I could zip back to the states and eat some of that yummy low country boil my sister prepared once again. Her recipe is easy, simple and out of this world delicious!

Kathy's Easy Low Country Boil:

1- 3 oz. bag shrimp or crab boil
3 tbsp old bay seasoning
2 1/4- 3 lbs small new potatoes
4 or 5 ears of corn, husked and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1- 2lb spicy smoked sausage link (Kielbasa) sliced into 1 inch pieces
3 to 4 lemons halved
Chopped fresh parsley

Garlic Mayo/Tarter sauce
Cocktail Sauce

1. 12-16 quart pot bring 2 gallons of water to a boil. Add shrimp or crab boil and Old Bay. Reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes uncovered

2. Add potatoes, a few at a time. Allow the boil to continue simmering. Simmer 7-10 minutes, until potatoes are nearly tender (sometimes takes longer)

3. Add corn, simmer UNCOVERED 5 minutes (other times cover)

4. Add sausage and shrimp, simmer 3-5 minutes till shrimp are opaque.

Transfer to large platter, add lemon halves and parsley. Serve hot with sauces.

Don't forget to add salt and pepper to season!!


No comments:

Post a Comment